Director of Foundation and Corporate Development
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Reports to: Chief Impact Officer
Director of Foundation and Corporate Development
The Director of Foundation and Corporate Development is responsible for developing private, corporate and public sector funding opportunities in support of Community Reinvestment Fund, USA’s key programs and objectives. The Director of Foundation and Corporate Development will be responsible for soliciting, cultivating, and closing charitable grants and contributions as well as continued stewardship of current and prospective corporate and foundation funders, inclusive of prospecting and researching grant-making opportunities nationally and acting as key relationship manager for a portfolio of key funders. The Director of Foundation and Corporate Development must have a working knowledge of community development finance, diverse community reinvestment strategies, affordable housing programs and small business development programs. The incumbent must be a self-starter who is able to independently drive projects with multiple stakeholders, a creative thinker that has the ability to concept independently, and who possesses experience in developing compelling and successful proposals.
The Director of Foundation and Corporate Development joins a collaborative team and will work across Business Lines to create strong relationships, internally and externally, focusing on work that aligns with CRF’s 5-year Strategic Plan. The Director of Foundation and Corporate Development will report to the Chief Impact Officer.
The Director of Foundation and Corporate Development will have exceptional verbal and writing skills, the ability to work with a broad range of people, and the aptitude to organize and implement a complete grant seeking cycle. The position demands an individual who is deadline-driven, detail oriented, and committed to excellent customer service.
The Director of Foundation and Corporate Development must be comfortable working in a fast-paced, changing environment and facilitating alliances between a diverse group of stakeholders including investors, community and economic development professionals, grant makers, and low- to moderate-income households that are the intended beneficiaries of reinvestment with an ability to travel up to 50% of available work time.
- Model and Support of CRF’s Mission, Vision and Values: Energized by the desire successfully fundraise and develop innovative ideas in an effort to deliver equal access to capital and level the economic playing field, providing opportunities for people to succeed, and that transform lives and communities.
- Belief in CRF’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Philosophy: Modeling behavior that inspires dialogue, learning and cross-cultural exchange. Participation in and encouragement of the CRF DEI Committee’s learning plan, and promotion of intercultural competence and CRF Values.
- Strategic Leadership Abilities: Compelling strategic thinker, providing an integral voice in the development industry working in alignment with the framework of CRF’s strategic plan. Collaborative, facilitative Director, with drive for decisive results. Ability to foster trust, ability to build and maintain relationships, credibility, and cohesive teamwork among persons of diverse talents, backgrounds, and perspectives.
- Leadership Strengths: Demonstrated capacity for independent judgment and sound decision making in a diverse and complex organizational environment. Keen, analytical problem solver. Highest level of integrity, honesty, and respect for others in both business and personal relationships.
- Positive Presence: Thrives in fast-paced working environment with a sense of urgency. Positive and energetic. Articulate. Respectful.
- Effective Communicator: Advanced written and oral communication skills, including the ability to speak in a wide variety of settings, to a wide variety of audiences. Focused on external grant-writing, sales writing, and contract management.
- Compliance Minded: Understanding of and adherence to the compliance requirements related to this position and Business Line.
- Technology Proficiency: Must view technology as a critical part of the organization’s success and have a solid understanding of and willingness to work with a variety of technology platforms and products.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Development and Fundraising
- Conduct funder research and reviews, identify potential growth opportunities and determine most effective use of time and resources.
- Develop formal plans and strategies for top funders and establish measurable goals and objectives to meet organizational goals.
- Implement processes and procedures to monitor the effectiveness of changes and their relation to organizational goals
- Provide high level, quality funder service by maintaining a positive and proactive relationship to all assigned funders.
- Maintain year-round relationships with funders for additional new business opportunities beyond of existing grant relationships.
- Work with CRF staff to identify and analyze prospective sources of funding including, but not limited to, corporate and private foundations, State and Federal funding sources.
- Maintain grant prospects, research, final reports and communication in CRM database and corporate portal.
- Develop grant strategy, write (in partnership with Grant writer) grant proposal, submit grants via corporate, foundation, and government submission systems.
- Complete all necessary research and compile all required pieces for grant submission and ensure all stated time, format and design guidelines are met.
Grant Reporting and Administration
- Coordinate closely with Finance and Grants Administrator to prepare comprehensive budgets for proposals and timely, accurate financial reporting.
- Create and maintain a consistent approach and content for developing future grant proposals.
- Assist in developing methods for ensuring compliance with grant requirements and evaluation of program outcomes.
- Collaborate with members of Finance and Grant department to collate information for milestone reporting and to write and submit quarterly and annual progress reports to funders.
- Ability to travel as much as 50% of available work time.
- This position will be responsible for observing the overall compliance requirements and regulatory requirements related to this position. Compliance requirements include adherence to applicable laws, regulations, obligations, and corporate policies. Each business line and shared service is responsible for documenting, monitoring, and reporting compliance requirements related internal controls that provide reasonable assurance regarding the achievement of objectives.
Education and Certification(s)
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Public Policy, Finance, or related field.
- 7+ years of grant-writing or related sales writing experience
Advanced non-profit/philanthropic development experience
- Demonstrated ability to research and access information about new funders and foundations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of community development finance or related program development, and diverse community reinvestment strategies is a plus
- Strong business development and strategic planning skill
- Ability to establish and maintain relationships with a minimum level of supervision
- Experience working in a multi-locational organization and be comfortable working with diverse communities
Please send resumes to humanresources@CRFUSA.com